This diabetic style of sweet potato pie is a healthy dessert with its fat-free and sugar-free ingredients, especially the spice cinnamon. Cinnamon has been proven to have a positive effect on blood sugar levels, an important factor in the life of a diabetic. Either canned or fresh sweet potatoes may be used for the filling. The sweet potato custard filling will vary from silky to dense, dependent upon the ration of mashed sweet potato to milk and eggs.
SUGAR-FREE SWEET POTATO PIE
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Preheat oven: 350 degrees F.
Bake time: 40 minutes
- 3 Tbsp Margarine, unsalted, softened
- ¼ cup brown sugar substitute, granulated
- 5 packets of granulated artificial sweetener
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 2 raw egg yolks
- 2 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- (equal to 1 large sweet potato or 1 large can of yams)
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 3 egg whites
- 1 pie crust, unbaked (ready-to-bake), 9-inch
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. In a large bowl, beat together softened margarine, brown sugar substitute, cinnamon, ginger, salt, allspice, and egg yolks.
3. Whisk in mashed sweet potatoes and milk to sugar/spice/egg yolks mixture.
4. In a separate bowl, beet egg whites until stiff.
5. Gently fold stiff egg whites into sweet potato mixture. Do not stir.
6. Pour sweet potato mixture into unbaked pie shell.
7. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until a tester inserted in center comes out clean.
8. Cool on rack until ready to serve.
Sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, beta carotene, and vitamins C and B2 . The Center for Science in the Public Interest has compared the nutritional value of sweet potatoes to other vegetables. The comparison considered nutritional values such as complex carbohydrates, protein, fibre content, iron, calcium, and vitamins A and C, and found the sweet potato the highest in nutritional value.
Varieties of sweet potatoes with dark orange pulp have more beta carotene than light colored sweet potatoes. The sweet potato is a beneficial food for diabetics because it helps stabilize blood sugar levels and lowers insulin resistance.