Sweet potato pie is to the Southerner what pumpkin pie is to the Thanksgiving enthusiast. The history of this sweet dessert goes way back to the time of African slaves, early Europeans and the early Southern and New England settlers. Sweet Potato Pie is similar to Pumpkin Pie except that it is creamier, silkier and tastier. Once people found this to be so, Sweet Potato Pie took on steam, became even more popular than pumpkin in the south and has remained a mainstay in the holiday season.
Sweet Potato Pie comes in many variations and the recipe has often been handed down from generation to generation. Often, the recipes are not even on paper but, rather, in the memories of grandmothers, mothers and daughters. Each family has their own version and it is a good idea to try many pie recipes as well as tweak a recipe to suit it to your own taste and make it your own. On top of everything, sweet potatoes are also a super food because they are filled with vitamins, fiber and potassium. Sweet Potato Pie is a dessert that is a tradition, delicious and the ultimate in comfort foods as well.
Sweet Potato Pie Ingredients
(Feel free to add and subtract to make the Sweet Potato Pie your very own.)
- 2 cups of mashed sweet potato (around 2 sweet potatoes, depending on size)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup of evaporated milk
- 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon (2 is for the cinnamon-lovers, 1 will also do)
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 unbaked deep dish pie shell
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix everything and pour into the pie crust.
3. Bake for around 50 minutes (start peeking at it in 40 minutes because everyone’s oven is different). When an inserted toothpick or knife comes out clean then the pie is done.
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe Extra Tips
At this point, feel free to eat the pie as is or top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Some people like to include a caramelized pecan topping or top the pie with pecan halves. Other choices include using condensed milk instead of evaporated, adding cream cheese for the ultimate in creamy or topping with miniature marshmallows just like a pumpkin pie. It is good to experiment with different flavors and textures until you come up with the perfect Sweet Potato Pie for your family.